Some recipes are so good and so versatile it just seems like they should be shared. These homemade cream cheese mints are easy to make and they can be flavored so many different ways, it is worth keeping this recipe on hand. From one basic recipe comes many choices. Get ready to “wow” friends and neighbors.
* 1 teaspoon extract
* 1 package 8 ounce cream cheese, softened to room temperature.
* 2 tablespoons half and half
* ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
* 15 ounce package of dry white frosting mix
* food coloring
If you pay attention to the detail, you may think there is an obvious flaw in the ingredients list. Exactly what kind of extract should you be putting in the mint? This is the magic. You get to choose. Peppermint, spearmint, root beer, butter, maple, lemon, orange, rum and many other choices. A quick glance down the baking aisle at the market for many new ideas.
When making any kind of candy it is important to use a heavy saucepan to prevent scorching distribute heat evenly.
1. Put the butter, cream cheese and half and half in the saucepan. Use low heat and stir constantly until it is a creamy mixture with no lumps.
2. Add in the dry frosting mix. Typically each batch will be the same flavor. So the extract of your choice would be added at this time. If you prefer different flavors from the same batch separate into smaller bowls and add extract into each small bowl. Change measurement accordingly.
3. After the mixture is separated into bowls add the food coloring. Make certain it is well blended to the mints have a professional look.
4. Load each color into it’s own cake icing decorating tube and create some beautiful mints. Allow them to air dry on parchment paper. Place them in candy bags when dry and tie off.
If you want to change things up even more thumbprint mints are fun. Roll the mixture into ½ inch balls. Use your thumb to indent a print in the middle. Fill the indent with a little dab of melted chocolate. (Raspberry mints are a great one for this option.)
These make wonderful after dinner mints or are great for gift giving.